When Mag-Tran first opened its doors in 1968, the world’s business landscape was completely different than it is today. Being located in the heart of Southern California, this was where, and still is, where many of our customers were located.
Today, we still work with many of the same companies we earned as customers when we first started operations. We have certainly expanded as well and have added many new customers in wide varying industries, designing new products and parts for systems of ever increasing complexity and with specific needs for power quality and continuing needs for product quality and reliability. Our Sister facility in Northern California provides additional engineering and sales support, specialized test facilities and flexibility in production and distribution.
We have continued to grow with our customers’ needs, anticipating their new technical requirements and production volumes. We continue adding equipment, practicing lean manufacturing, hiring new employees and cross-training to keep costs down. Most importantly, we perform research and development on new products such as Harmonic Mitigating Transformers, Power Conditioners, Noise Cut Transformers and Assemblies as well as Zigzag Transformers to name a few.
Our commitment to anticipating our customers’ needs and developing new products to meet these requirements means we are building products that are often ahead of IEEE and other standards. Our ISO Certification and ability to certify our products to applicable UL standards, CE, CSA and CUS means our customers know that each part delivered to them meets the critical safety and quality standards required in their industries.
As part of our dedication to meeting these requirements, our quality processes include:
- Incoming inspection on all custom ordered parts to verify they were fabricated to specifications and are free of damage,
- Incoming inspection on all off-the-shelf parts to ensure they are correct to each product as specified by the engineering staff,
- Inspection of all parts fabricated in-house to ensure they meet the drawing prints and are free of damage and have been properly treated to eliminate sharp spots that could cause damage to the products in which they will be used,
- Lot travelers and drawing packages for manufacturing that accompany each production release,
- Inspection and/or test at each critical stage of manufacture for 100% of units,
- Full test of units before vacuum impregnation and termination for 100% of units, and
- Final test of units before being marked approved by Quality Control and before shipment for 100% of units
We have also continued to add to our test equipment and capabilities over time and this equipment includes:
- Variable 480V, 3-phase 200A service,
- Short circuit testing of up to 1000A,
- 50Hz and 400Hz 3-phase generators,
- Dielectric withstand testing, including corona measurement, can be performed at levels up to 100kVAC,
- Thermal shock chamber,
- Full load testing up to 400kVA,
- Resistant load banks for performing heat run testing, and
- Custom designed oil processing system for units required to operate in oil.